Iran’s Khamenei Strikes Defiant Tone in First Public Comments Since U.S. Attack
NY Times-June26th2025
In a video, the Iranian supreme leader downplays damage to the country’s nuclear program, after not being seen publicly for nearly a week.
Erika Solomon and
Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, congratulated Iranians for what he called a victory over Israel and the United States, in a defiant video message that appeared to be his first public statement since the U.S. bombed three of the country’s nuclear facilities on Sunday.
Mr. Khamenei, 86, has the final say on key decisions but had not been seen or heard from publicly in a week. Although he had issued two video statements during Iran’s 12-day conflict with Israel, he had not released any recorded messages after the American miliary attack. Iran fired retaliatory missiles on a U.S. military base in Qatar and agreed to a cease-fire with Israel without any public signs of Mr. Khamenei.
His silence had raised questions among Iranians over his health and his whereabouts. Iranian officials had previously said Mr. Khamenei was sheltering in a bunker and refraining from any electronic communications to prevent assassination attempts against him.
It was not clear when the prerecorded video was made. Mr. Khamenei, whose voice sounded raspy and frail, was seated in front of a brown curtain as he spoke, with an Iranian flag to his left and a photograph of the Islamic Republic’s first leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, hanging above him. The setting was identical to the last video he released, on June 18.
Mr. Khamenei appeared to have been speaking after Iran retaliated against the U.S. strikes. He declared that Iran’s missile strikes in Qatar on the Al Udeid Air Base caused “some damage” and warned that Tehran could “take action again” if necessary.
The United States joined the war because Israel would have been “completely destroyed” if it did not, he said.
“But it did not gain anything, he said, adding that Iran “gave America a severe slap.”
Read more on original:
https://www.nytimes.com/2025/06/26/world/middleeast/iran-leader-khamenei-statement.html


It may not feel like it, but hope is on the horizon: Trump, Netanyahu and Putin’s powers appear to be waning
China: ‘No point’ in continuing Iran war
Iran war live: Chinese vessels allowed to sail Hormuz as Trump meets Xi
Trump says no need for China’s help on Iran as shippers seek way through Hormuz
The Voter Guide for June 2026 Primary Election
US war on Iran has cost around $29bn, Pentagon says