U.S. envoy headed to Qatar to revive Iran nuclear talks
Politico – June 27th 2022
The U.S. special envoy for the Iran nuclear talks is headed to the Gulf state of Qatar on Monday for a resumption of indirect discussions with Tehran about ways to revive the agreement.
The likelihood of a breakthrough is low, but these are the first such talks in months. They are coming together following efforts by European officials to get both sides, but in particular Iran, back on board.
The U.S. envoy, Rob Malley, was slated to land in the Qatari capital of Doha later Monday, a senior State Department official told POLITICO.
Up to now, most of the discussions on reviving the deal had been held in Vienna, Austria; they’ve stalled since March. Iran, meanwhile, has advanced its nuclear program significantly, including its enrichment of uranium, and it has been removing or turning off cameras that international inspectors rely upon to monitor its program.
The latest talks, expected to be mediated by European officials because Iran refuses to engage directly with the United States, are likely to start Tuesday, a U.S. official familiar with the issue said.
“Very low expectations,” the U.S. official added.
Two senior Western officials echoed the pessimism.
One noted that even if European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell, who traveled to Tehran recently, “managed to reinvigorate the process, the substance has not moved much since the Vienna talks paused.”
Read more on the original:
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/27/u-s-qatar-iran-nuclear-00042553


It may not feel like it, but hope is on the horizon: Trump, Netanyahu and Putin’s powers appear to be waning
China: ‘No point’ in continuing Iran war
Iran war live: Chinese vessels allowed to sail Hormuz as Trump meets Xi
Trump says no need for China’s help on Iran as shippers seek way through Hormuz
The Voter Guide for June 2026 Primary Election
US war on Iran has cost around $29bn, Pentagon says